The Minecraft Nether update, 1.16, adds a new Minecraft ore, Netherite, the Crimson Forrest, Warped Forrest and Soulsand Valley, and plenty more. The patch notes explain it all, including the fact that the ‘old’ Nether is now ‘The Nether Wastes’ and shipwrecks and Ocean Ruins are now harder to find “so you get more excited when you find one”.
Let’s take a look at all the big Minecraft Nether changes:
Minecraft commands | Best Minecraft servers | Best Minecraft seeds | Best Minecraft shaders | Best Minecraft skins | Best Minecraft mods | Play Minecraft for free | Best Minecraft texture packs
New Minecraft ore: Netherite
Netherite is a new high-level material you can find in Nether that can be used to upgrade diamond gear. Once you’ve mined the relevant materials, refined them and crafted it, that is.
How to find the new Minecraft ore and make Netherite
You’ll have to mine ancient debris in the lower depths of the Nether to start using Netherite. You can refine it in a blast furnace to create Netherite scrap and then combine four pieces of Netherite scrap with four gold ingots to make a single Netherite ingot. This stuff ain’t cheap.
Obviously with a material that’s so dangerous and expensive to gather, you want the risk and cost to be worth it so here’s a quick run down of why you’ll want it.
- Netherite tools are faster and last longer than diamond.
- Netherite weapons do more damage than diamond.
- Netherite armor has higher toughness and durability than diamond, and greater knockback resistance.
- Netherite items have higher enchantment than diamond, but less than gold.
- Netherite stuff floats in lava.
New Minecraft blocks in the Nether
The Nether is a large and very different place to previous Minecraft biomes and has added a range of new block types:
- Crimson Stems and Warped Stems are two new wood materials.
- Crimson Nylium and Warped Nylium form new ground surface blocks.
- Nether Sprouts, Crimson Roots and Warped Roots appear as new vegetation.
- Weeping vines, which grow downwards from the bottom of a block.
- There’s now Crimson and Warped fungi which can be grown using bone meal. While Shroomlights act as a light source.
- Bone meal also makes Nylium grow on Netherrack.
- Basalt blocks.
- Warped Wart blocks
- Soul Soil make fire burn with a blue flame and can be crafted into Soul Torches and Soul Lanterns!
New Minecraft locations
There are three new Minecraft locations you can find in the Nether: the Crimson Forrest, Soulsand Valley and the Warped Forrest. Let’s take a look at each in turn and see what they offer:
The Warped Forrest
The Warped Forest again has a floor covered in nylium and features plenty of new vegetation (including Shroomlights). But its one of the safer Nether locations. So probably the best place to start.
The Crimson Forrest
This cave area is lined with nylium and filled with giant Crimson Fungi and Shroonlights. You can also find Weeping Vines and Hoglins.
This is an open area made from Soul Sand and Soul Soil, filled with Basalt pillars and fossils. You’ll find skeletons here so be careful.